Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, April 25, 2016

PETER ALLISTAR MURPHY MCGRAW

Peter Allister Murphy McGraw
read every book
he ever saw.

When he stepped in the road
he was reading a book.
He didn't pause.
He didn't look.

A car was speeding
down the street.
It didn't stop
for our young Pete.

Peter Allister
made a horrendous mistake.
He still reads books,
but now he's flat
as 

a

p
a

c
a
k
e.




    I'm so glad we have libraries and librarians.  Because like Peter Allister I like to read books.  Can you write a poem today about your library or about books?  Have fun writing.

You must have a silver penny to get into Fairyland. Blanche Jennings Thompson

4 comments:

  1. Love the poem and the pancake-like character. I'm glad being flattened didn't interfere with his reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda. I tried drawing him thin from the side first, but that didn't work well. So I just tried again making Pete look like a pancake. It was fun to play with my art supplies.
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cute, Joy. I have written a picture book about a boy named Thomas Augustus Bartholomew Bloom, a name that flew into my head and demanded to be written sometime after I read Shel Silverstein's poem Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage out. Yours brings that to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These poems are so much fun to write. I have written several poems featuring children with four names. I feel terribly humbled to have you compare this poem to Shel Silverstein. Jack Prelutsky has several great ones too.
      Thank you.

      Delete