Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, April 29, 2016

HAPPY POETRY FRIDAY

Come to me.
Bring a poem.
I will be fed
on your hearts words. 

  Your poetry challenge for today is to add the next two lines to this poem.  Can you see I have set up a pattern?  The first two lines each have three words in them.  The next two lines each have four words.  Your two lines should each have five words.  Can you do it?  Challenge yourself.

I couldn't think about what to write today.  When that happens I often go to my book, DAY TO DAY: a calendar of notable birthdays and events, written by David E. Johnson.   I found out today was the birthday of Rod McKuen.  At one time he was called the unofficial poet laureate of the United States.  He helped to make poetry popular for the American public.  His life story is fascinating and hard for me to imagine.  McKuen was born in a Salvation Army Hostel in Oakland, CA.  He never knew his father.  He ran away from home when he was 11.  He never completed high school.  He worked as a ranch hand, surveyor, lumberjack, railroad worker, rodeo cowboy, stuntman for the movies and a radio disc jockey.  You can find out more about his life here and here.


                   



Today's Poetry Friday Round Up is being hosted by  Buffy Silverman on her blog.  You can find more poetry posts here.  Thanks for hosting us, Buffy.


It doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love. Rod McKuen 

11 comments:

  1. Rod McKuen had quite a life!

    Soothing, amusing, bitter, or sweet
    I will taste them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had almost forgotten about Rod McKuen. He was quite the thing back in the day. I had one of his records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And didn't we all have copies of his poetry books? Uh, records? Do kids even know what those are today?

      Delete
  3. I did not know that Rod McKuen had such a hard start..

    I will grow strong and tall
    with your rhythm and wit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that 'early' start for McKuen either, but remember well when he was so popular, Joy.

    Your next lines:
    taste delight, declare the good
    of crunchy, mighty lines I hear

    ReplyDelete
  5. watch out beautiful and amazing site
    www.youngpoemsandstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting web site, yes. But does it meet the COPPA regulations? COPPA Notice
      Thanks you for visiting my blog and reading my poems!

      Due to new COPPA laws, children under the age of 13 are not allowed to leave comments. If you are under 13, please have a parent leave your comment. Thank you!

      Parents and Teachers it is my intent to keep this blog a safe place for children to visit. If you find ANYTHING you think should be corrected, please let me know by leaving a comment. Thank you.
      Thank you for topping by.

      Delete