Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

SWEET SUGAR!

Sugar, Sugar,
Sugar Cookie!
You're the sweetest one.

Sugar, Sugar,
Sugar Cookie!
You are so much fun.

Count your fingers.
1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9     10.

Count your toes.
10   9     8     7     6     5     4     3     2     1.

Count your sweet little nose.
1.

Sugar, Sugar
Sugar Cookie!
You're the sweetest one.
(Tickle baby's tummy.)

     I thought I was done with cookie poems, but then two more came along to bite me.  They wouldn't let me go until I wrote them.  That is how poems are sometimes.  When my sister and I were young we used to count Whoops Willie on the tops of our fingers.  "Willie, Willie, Willie, Willie, whoops Willie, whoops Willie, Willie, Willie, Willie."  The whoops were that space between thumb and fore finger.  I have no idea where the game came from, but we did have fun doing it.  Like a tongue twister, we tried to say it over and over, faster and faster without twisting our tongues and messing up.  Today's poem is meant to be recited to a very young child.  Can you write your own counting poem?  Have a fun time.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Joy,
    You are definitely the Princess of Poetry. I love your poems and your delightful view on life and items that call you to write about them.
    I'm glad that I've met you in person. It makes it even more fun to read your work.
    Do something good to celebrate you today!

    Joan Y. Edwards
    http://www.joanyedwards.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy,

    This one is especially delightfully fun! I'm going to forward it to a friend with a young baby. This should be in a book for expectant mothers. Wouldn't that be a wonderful baby shower gift? Please consider it.

    ReplyDelete