Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Happy Hanukkah


On the first night of Hanukkah
we light one candle.
A Festival of Lights
we kindle the Menorah.
May we be a light to shine for others.
May we be a beacon
of love and good cheer.
May we keep the spirit
of Hanukkah burning
in our hearts
all year.

     I can't believe I've written a poem for Hanukkah.  I'm not Jewish, but I've attended the candle lighting ceremony in the homes of Jewish friends.  This is an occasional poem.  It was written for the occasion of the first night of Hanukkah.  If you'd like to write your own Hanukkah poem, you're very welcome to leave it in the comments.  Now I'm going to have to try writing a Kwanza poem too.
Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Joy,

    What a nice way to remember a special holiday celebration with friends. I've never attended a ceremony for Hanukkah. It seems similar to the lighting of candles on an advent wreath.

    ReplyDelete