Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

My Mittens

It is getting cold.
I need a hat.
Can you tell me where
my mittens are at?

My boots are too small.
I need a new jacket.
Found one of my mittens
by my tennis racquet.

This mitten is too small.
Where is the other?
If I can find it
they'll go to my brother.

Nothing fits because
I've gotten older.
And the weather is getting
much, much colder.

Play 
0.00 / 0.41

     
     I think if you click on the red Play above, you'll be able to hear me read this poem. I'm experimenting with this.  I hope it works.

     Is it starting to look a lot like Christmas in your part of the world?  Do you have new winter clothes to wear?  How do you stay warm?  What advice do you think your hat, scarf or mittens might give to you about not getting lost?  Can you write a persona poem today from the point of view of some piece of your winter clothes?  (Some people call this a mask poem--one that gives voice to an object.)  Oh, I hope you have fun writing today.  I know I will.  If you'd like to share your poem, please leave it in the comments below.
     Thank you for stopping by.  It's time for hot chocolate.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Joy,
    I enjoyed this as always. I wonder how many coats, hats, mittens, and scarves end up in the lost-and-found box and are later given away. We spread them out on a table at school a few times a year for students to see and retrieve. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember all the coats, hats, and mittens that the kids lost at school. It always surprised me that the kids didn't even miss them. In the summer the kids leave lots of suits and towels in the lost and found too. as a mom, I learned to check the lost and found often and to make sure that the kids had their name printed in most of their clothes.
      When we were in England the boys were required to have their name printed in their clothes. I bought some iron on labels and found them to be extremely useful when we returned and the boys went off to camp.
      I'll bet those iron on tape labels would make a great Christmas present, stocking stuffer to any one who has young children.

      Delete
  2. Hi Joy,
    I got this to play and it was superb! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. It isn't perfect yet, I'll have to try doing this again so I can practice some more. You'll see tomorrow that I got tired with trying to make it right and resorted to doing a video instead. Thank you for the help with your suggestions and inspiration.

      Delete
  3. Dear Joy,
    I loved listening to you read your poem.

    You are so cool.

    Have a fun day celebrating being you!
    Never Give Up
    Joan Y. Edwards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan.
      You are cool too. Thanks for all your support and encouragement.

      Delete