Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, February 21, 2014

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE



Whoever said,
The best things
in life are free,
stopped to listen
to birds singing
in a tree.



 I hoped that worked for you.  I was trying up loading a video of the bird singing.

And now, I noticed the moon was still out on my morning walk.

The moon is caught
in the saguaro spines.
The needles are strong,
holding like twine.

What will happen
if it can't get away?
Will we be stuck,
day after day?

Will we never
have another night?
Somehow that doesn't
seem quite right.

    

     Ok. That one will take patience.  There are a lot of long pauses.  I was trying to make a poem up on the spot, something I like to challenge myself to do and the pauses between lines are a little long while I was thinking about where the poem was going to go.  Have you ever tried to make up a rhyme while standing on your feet?  Sometimes the movement of my feet helps the rhythm of the poem.  But, in this case I just wanted something to go with the cool moon in the saguaro.  I tried a haiku too.  Perhaps you'd like to try a haiku to go with one of the pictures you've seen today, or better yet, use something from your landscape.  Have fun.
If the videos don't work, I'll come back and edit them out.  Have a great weekend.


The Poetry Friday Roundup is hosted by Karen Edmisten this week on her blog at http://karenedmisten.blogspot.com/  Thanks for a great party, Karen.  You can find lots of other great poetry for children on her blog.

7 comments:

  1. I love every.single.bit, Joy. That first poem is wonderful, and I love hearing the bird song-makes me wish I was there for sure! Love hearing your voice too! You did so much today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for your comments. Thank you for faithfully sticking through to the end. Your encouragement is going to have me trying this again sometime soon. It is that time thing that slows me down--that and knowledge. I'm learning slowly.
      I really appreciate your letting me know the up-loading worked.

      Delete
  2. Dear Joy,
    The video shows up great on your blog. I love your poetry, your pictures, and your videos. Awesome!

    Love you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, thank you for having the patience to hang in there through the poem composed on the spot.
      This was a lot of fun to do. I hope I can continue learning and growing. I'm just celebrating this small achievement.

      Delete
  3. Joy,
    You know how to make the most of a moment. Loved it! Your desert collection with pictures and videos is tops with me! I hope to own a complete copy someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Thanks for the compliment. I just had fun trying something new. It is the learning and the growing that gets me excited. I do have a desert poem in the new Poetry Friday Anthology collection that is coming out soon. They are doing grade level editions for the children and including some extra poems with that. My desert poem is one of the extras. I hope the kids like it.

      Delete
  4. I love your daylight moon poem. I wrote one myself the other day. Great minds... Thanks for the visit to the desert.

    ReplyDelete