Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, September 4, 2015

MY PET DRAGON

I have a pet dragon
his name is Fred.
His scales often glow
and turn bright red.
Whenever I whistle
and call him by name,
Fred opens his mouth
and out breathes a flame.
I have to be careful.
You'd think I'd have learned,
that calling out, "Fred!"
will get myself burned.

   Penny Parker Klostermann's new picture book THERE WAS AN OLD DRAGON WHO SWALLOWED A KNIGHT arrived in the mail today.  I won the book from a draw at Renee LaTulippe's blog NO WATER RIVER. The book is lots of fun and it inspired me to write my own dragon poem.  Your poetry challenge for today is to try writing your own dragon poem.  If you had a dragon, what color would it be?  What would you name it?  What would you do with it?  Have fun writing.


Poetry comes with silence.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Joy, Penny's book is so funny & delightful. Glad you won a copy! I ordered one for the granddaughters, a Christmas surprise. It's late, maybe a dragon Poem another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting the Poetry Friday Round up today. I'll have to get that into my post, sorry to have forgotten. I appreciate your work.
      I'm sure your granddaughter will love Penny's book.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabatha. Dragons are so much fun to write about.

      Delete
  3. I've read this book too. It's fun and so is your poem. I hope you don't call out to Fred in your sleep. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you always make me laugh. Would that be a dragonmare?

      Delete
  4. Very sweet, Joy! Love that dragon (Penny's AND yours)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Penny's book and love your poem-response!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Lee. Writing Dragon poems is fun.

      Delete
  6. Joy,
    So glad that Dragon inspired a poem. I love your poem. Thanks so much for honoring Dragon and me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, there's nothing like a good dragon poem, or story, or song! Wonderful!
    Be careful out there. I'd avoid having any friends named Fred around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna,
      I just got talking to a girlfriend on the phone about a poetry workshop she is going to. The leader picks a theme and then presents poems on the theme topic for the group to read. I wonder what poems we'd include if we were to do a dragon poetry workshop?

      Delete
  8. Very cute poem, Joy. I just won a copy of Penny's book. Can't wait to get it. I hope it inspires me as it did you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, so cute! We all need a dragon named Fred. Reminds me of the scene in Harry Potter when the newly hatched dragon singed Hagrid's beard.

    ReplyDelete