Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

THE BOSS

You are the boss.
Make your words
spin, whirl,
do-see-doh,
down the page.

Lift them up.
Let your words
soar, fly
send blessings
into the sky.

Because you are
the boss of your words.

Happy Saturday.  The fun thing about writing is you are the boss.  You get to pick which words you use and what you make them do.  Have fun writing today.  So if you were to talk to your words, what would you say?  Can you write a poem about that today?  

2 comments:

  1. Joy,
    This would be a good one for The Bulletin (SCBWI).

    I'm going to tell my words that Joy said I was boss today and that I need them to hop in place! How about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do that, Linda.
      I should have given credit to Marge Pelligrino for the idea of this poem. I attended a workshop she led on using poetry prompts.
      The middle schoolers who were there kept asking her, "Is this OK?" Marge responded to them, "You're the boss of your poem." After hearing the phrase about 20 times, I just had to write a poem using that phrase.
      The empowering thing is you do control your words and how they look on the page.

      Delete