Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

SO MUCH

Today is William Carlos William's birth date.

He wrote many famous poems, but he is probably best know for his Red Wheelbarrow.

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens



This is actually a concrete poem.  Can you see how each stanza is shaped like a wheelbarrow?  A fun thing to do with this poem is to use the "so much depends" line and then use it to describe someone you know.

THE SURF BOARD

So much depends
upon

the surfboard
leaning

against his bed
room wall

waiting for
waves.  

I wrote this one for my son who loves to surf.


 THE CAT

So much depends
upon

the wide window
sill

where the cat
poses

to look outside
at the birds. 

THE PEN

So much depends
upon

the ball point pen
clicking

in his hand
while

taking his
test.


OK, it is your turn.  Start with an object that belongs to someone and write a poem that tells us about it.  Have fun writing.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Joy! William Carlos Williams lived in northern NJ, where I grew up. He's one of my favorites. I love how you used his poem here. Because my son is away at college for the first time, "The Surf Board" hit me in the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope your son comes home for Thanksgiving. William Carlos Williams is a favorite of mine too. He had a very wide range. Many of his hospital poems floor me. His life story is an interesting one.

      Delete
  2. Joy,
    So much depends on excellent examples and you've got them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much depends
      upon the hat
      hung with
      jingle bells
      she wears
      on her head.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I especially liked "The Surf Board" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabatha.

      So much depends
      upon
      the names
      she hands
      out
      of poets
      for
      their summer
      poetry swap.

      Delete