Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Coyote Dreams

Coyotes pause in the river bed
to sing a song to the moon.
Their yip, yip, yip,
is a raucous tune.

The pack of coyotes
travels in the wash,
while bats fly by
and elf owls watch.

The javelinas look
for a tasty treat
to fill their
night time dining.

The night air cools
and the songs echo
making memories
of a desert night.

And as I nod to sleep
I hear those songs
rippling through
my dreams.

Good night coyotes.
Good night javelinas.
Good night elf owls and bats.
Good night to us all.

      This poem is a lullaby, because it is one that should be read just before going to sleep.  Can you try writing your own lullaby?  Have fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment