Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, April 18, 2014

A Pantoum


APRIL

April tosses her hair.
This is how it begins--
green willow branches float the air
to dance in springtime winds.

This is how it begins
day after blowing day
to dance in springtime winds
as April has her way.

Day after blowing day
Spring reaches to delight
as April has her way
blowing clouds black and white.

Spring reaches to delight
giving us all flower fun.
Blowing clouds black and white
until her breath is done.

Giving us all flower fun
Prickly pear blossoms visited by bees.
Until her breath is done,
April collects pollen on her knees.

Prickly pear blossoms visited by bees
to dance in springtime winds.
April collects pollen on her knees

This is how it begins.

A pantoum is one of the French forms, somewhat similar to the Malaysian pantum, but also attributed to English.  The form weaves lines together.  If you look closely you'll see the rhyming pattern of A1,B1, A2, B2   B1, C1, B2, C2,     C1,D1, C2, D2  etc. until you come to the end stanza where the first and third lines are dictated by the previous stanza, and the second and fourth lines are a repeat from the first stanza (in reverse) of lines A2, A1; or B2, B1--or the poem can simply be concluded with a couplet of A2, A1.  This information comes from THE SHAPE OF OUR SINGING by Robin Skelton, Eastern Washington University Press, 2002.
You might have fun trying this form.  Or, just try writing four couplets about April or spring.  Hey, and if you get that far, you can then try weaving the lines together and see what you come up with.  Have fun playing with poetry.

When I previewed this poem, there was an extra space between the penultimate and the last line.  I considered correcting the formatting error, but as I thought about it, I liked the line, This is how it begins, out there on its own.  And it made me consider that this poem makes an interesting reverso--a poem that reads as well top to bottom as it does bottom to top.  What do you think?

The Poetry Friday Roundup is hosted this week by Robyn Hood Black on her blog Life at the Deckle Edge.  Hop over there for more poetry fun.


15 comments:

  1. What a nice springtime pantoum! I had never thought of reading a pantoum as a reverso.I think yours does work nicely that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about it either, Violet until I started playing with this one. Will it work for others? I don't know but I'm going to go find others to read and see if it works.

      Delete
  2. I like your pantoum for April and spring and I think it does work nicely as a reverso which I would love to be able to accomplish some day! I think I love how "April collects pollen on her knees" best! I can just see those bumblebees coated all over doing their thing. Thanks, Joy.
    Janet F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. I liked that line too, I'd seen a bee caught in my prickly pear blossom drunk on the pollen just lazing inside the flower waiting for the energy to take him away. Since I usually think of bees as being industrious, this was a fun experience.

      Delete
  3. Lovely, Joy - "day after blowing day" is lilting and wonderful.

    Thanks for sharing this pantoum, and Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Robyn. The blowing of desert winds in continuous in our springtime. We even have haboobs. they can be very dangerous if you get caught in one while driving.
      How far are you from Chapel Hill? The annual Haiku Holiday is next weekend. If you want more info, contact me.

      Delete
  4. It's gorgeous, Joy, and you're right, it is also a reverso! I love each line, but especially "April collects pollen on her knees."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Our saguaros are just starting to bloom. I wish you were here to see it.

      Delete
  5. I've recently learned about Pantoum and am enjoying working in it. I especially like the last verse in your poem. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosi. I've got to try another one, now that I've figured out how to write them.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Lee. Coming from you that means a lot. I appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  7. Joy,
    I alike the part about spring blowing the clouds until she is out of breath. Thanks for the spring images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some fun images in this one, weren't there? I just enjoyed being able to write a pantoum. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  8. Reversos are so tough! How nice to have come up with one without making yourself crazy in the process :-) I esp. like "April collects pollen on her knees."

    ReplyDelete