Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

SPRING DAYS

The cats search
for field mice
in the barn.

If one is seen,
cats don't think twice
they leap, and bring harm.

Cats keep an eye
up in the rafters
for a barred owl--
he might be a captor
sleeping in the barn.

Horses in the paddocks
eating the grass,
spring will come,
then quickly pass.

Time soon
for the cows
to be milked.
What do you think?
Cats are hoping 
for a drink. 


     Part of the reason I love  writing poetry is the research you get to do.  I originally wrote the owl was a raptor, but when I looked up information on the owl, I discovered there is some controversy about calling an owl a raptor, so I had to change my line.  This poem is definitely a draft, I need to do a lot more work on it. 
     So your challenge for today is to write a draft poem about an owl.  Have fun writing.  

2 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I love the account of animal activity. I'm wondering if you could keep each stanza about cats. Only one doesn't mention them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. As usual, you are so insightful. I appreciate your help with my poetry. I am so lucky to have your comments.

      Delete