Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

haiku

swallowing sunlight
chicks in the nest beg crop milk
from their dove father


no dress rehearsal
a baby quail pokes his beak
through the fragile shell


    I've been reading a really good haiku book, SEEDS FROM A BIRCH TREE, Writing Haiku and the Spiritual Journey, written by Clark Strand, copyright 1997, published by Hyperion.  I've really been enjoying the book and think I may need to purchase this book for my permanent library.
   In the book, Strand makes a strong argument for writing haiku in the traditional five, seven, five; three line form.
    Your poetry challenge for today is to find a poetry book you'd like to read and spend ten minutes reading.  It is your choice if you pick an anthology, a collection of poems by one poet, or a text on how to write poetry.  Have fun.  And what ever you choose, will you let me know what you are reading?

6 comments:

  1. I love the 'no dress rehearsal', Joy. Something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Now I really liked the swallowing sunlight for a description of the baby birds with their mouths open. But I also like the idea of swallowing--there really are a lot of things we keep to ourselves this way or take into ourselves.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Linda. No dress rehearsal is a fantastic way to express this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since haiku is all about capturing the present moment, I did like that line for expressing this essential quality of haiku.

      Delete
  3. Me, too. Just a great little Haiku. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't haiku fun to write? I hope you have fun with your own writing.

      Delete