Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

GILA WOODPECKER

Drinking
from the feeder
a gila woodpecker
dips his beak and long tongue into
sweetness.


    The gila woodpeckers make it almost impossible for me to keep the hummingbird feeder full with liquid.  They have learned to perch on top of the feeder and tilt it to one side so all the sugar water tilts to one side making it easier for them to drink from a deeper well.  Lately, I've noticed that the finches and thrushes have learned to do the same thing from watching the wood pecker.  Except they tilt the feeder until liquid drips out the side and they can then drink it.   Why must the larger birds steal from smaller birds?  Why is it, it seems to me that the big guys are always trying to take advantage of smaller guys?
  Can you write your own poem about a big taking advantage of a little?  Would this be called bullying among the birds?  Have fun writing.  Oh, did you figure out that the form of this poem is a cinquain?  It is a syllablic form of five lines with two syllables in the first line, four in the second, six in the third, then 8 and finally two syllables in the last line.

6 comments:

  1. I used to have feeders, but lately we've been cautioned to leave them out because of coyotes, here in the city! There's an example of "big" taking from "little". I like your cinquain, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of coyotes getting into the bird feeders. The raccoons are going to be displaced.

      Delete
  2. I love this form. I have been playing with it a lot lately. Thanks for sharing your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosi, I like writing to form too.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like Darwin's survival of the fittest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but we humans keep upsetting the ecological balance. That's why deer have become an urban problem, their natural predators have disappeared.

      Delete