Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, April 25, 2014

A RONDELET

A bee in Spring
    is drunk with the pleasures of bees.
A bee in Spring,
    euphoric with golden sleeping,
    trapped in his blossom dreaming-sprees,
    pollen stockings rolled to his knees--
A bee in Spring.


     I enjoyed watching the bees in my Prickly Pears this spring.  When the Prickly Pear blossoms were open, the bees flew in the flower and would get caught in all the pollen.  Their movements became sluggish, like they were drunk.  It was interesting to watch the bees and to know they are pollinating the blossoms. The blossoms are gone now, but shortly I will have prickly pear fruit I can make into jelly and syrup.
    The image of the bee drunk inside the flower stuck with me, and I wanted to write a poem about it.  I thought I might try a triolet, but when I worked through that form, I didn't like the repetition of the lines, so I thought I'd try another form with repeating lines.
    The RONDELET is a seven line poem.  Only two rhymes are used, and the repeated line is half as long as the other lines.  The rhyme scheme is AbAabbA.
    Now it is your turn, your poetry challenge is to try writing your own RONDELET. Have fun writing your poem. The Poetry Friday round up is over at Tabatha Yeatts blog, THE OPPOSITE OF INDIFFERENCE.  Thank you, Tabatha for hosting us all.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Joy, I love each part, never thought that the bees become sluggish! And especially love "pollen stockings rolled to his knees". I do see the pollen covering when I watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Hope you have a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the "pollen stockings rolled to his knees" is a wonderful line. Very nice, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does prickly pear jelly taste like, Joy? I, too, like the bee's pollen stockings. Also his "golden sleeping."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prickly Pear jelly has it's own sweet taste. I'd send you a jar of my jelly but I've already given away all of last years supply. The syrup is also great for making salad dressing. Let's hope the pears ripen quickly so I can make some more jelly and syrup.

      Delete
  4. Very nice, Joy! Each new line adds something wonderful! I've never tried this lovely form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BJ. You should give the rondelet a try. It was fun working on it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Joy,
    I want some of those stockings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Linda. I thought, "What fun to be a bee in a euphoric stupor." I wanted to be that bee.

      Delete
  6. This is a new form to me. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, Do some research in books on form and then try one of your own. It is a fun form to try. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary Lee. You've made me pause to think about all the poems about Bees, and Barbara Juster Esbensen's book A CELEBRATION OF BEES Helping Children to Write Poetry.

      Delete
  8. Need to work more with this one--so musical, so danceable! Love the bees' pollen stockings, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi. Yup, I want to work more with this form. It did what I wanted in that it had a repeating line.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for the mentor poem and tribute to bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. WOW! I didn't know I was writing a mentor poem. Makes me humble.

      Delete