Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, April 11, 2014

haiku

lizard meditates
upon a sunlit flat rock
disturb not his dreams


grasshoppers awash
in the cool golden moonlight
cry into the night


large ring neck lizard
greedily bathes in sunlight
watching flying gnats


hummingbird
my mother's spirit
observing her joy


can I cultivate
words, phrases, will this mountain
of verse disturb you?


     I'm still working on haiku as I work my way through another zen book.  I do enjoy combining my writing with reading.  You challenge for today is to take one of your poetry books and randomly open to a page.  Put you finger down in the middle of the page and look for the closest noun.  Can you write a short poem about that word.  Does the word strike a memory for you?  When was the first time you learned to read this word?  How did you learn the meaning?  Ask a friend what the word means to them.  Can you find a metaphor or simile for the word?  Have fun writing.

    For more poetry fun, Poetry Friday is being hosted today by Michelle Barnes on her blog, Today's Little Ditty .

11 comments:

  1. Nice connection between your mother and the hummingbird; I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tabatha. Lot of haiku in the round up today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've noticed it's a haiku kind of day in the roundup too! I think it's great that you immerse yourself, Joy-- reading and writing at the same time. "Hummingbird" is my favorite of these haiku, though I also like the image of the meditating lizard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michelle,
      Thanks for hosting the round up this week.

      Delete
  4. I like them, and as you saw, I'm trying to write haiku as well-what a challenge. I too love the hummingbird connection to your mother, and also like that final one, a question. Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda.
      I really enjoyed the photo you took to go with your kite haiku and your inventive word use.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your haiku, Joy! My favorite is the ending of the last one: "Will this mountain / of verse disturb you?" It has a sassy feel to it--as if you're saying, 'well too bad if it does because it's not going anywhere.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poems have me thinking of animals sunning on rocks. That could lead to learning about different types of rocks in a variety of settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Linda,
      I'm going to have to think about all the animals sitting in the sun. We do love our light, don't we? There are a lot of possibilities there. You ALWAYS keep me thinking. I really appreciate that about you. Thank you, friend.

      Delete
  7. I especially liked the hummingbird poem. I think my mother would have really enjoyed it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Add another "like" to the chorus for the hummingbird haiku. It really stands out.

    ReplyDelete