Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

haiku

clap of hitting limbs
my neighbor trims his bushes
ready for spring growth


Here is another.  On my morning walk I heard sirens and it got me to thinking.

shattering prom glass
life stilled to a long moment
sound of shrill sirens

I don't know why, but every time I hear sirens, my mind leaps to a story to explain them.  The stories are not happy ones, so I like to avoid that sound.  
  Your challenge for today is to spend five minutes outdoors trying to do nothing but observe nature.  Use your five senses and when you are done, make notes about how you felt.  Now, can you use the information to write your own haiku?  I hope your weather is a lovely as ours has been.  My son tells me the dogwoods are blooming in NC, and I saw in the paper the cherry blossoms are blooming in MD. What is going on in your neck of the woods.  

4 comments:

  1. I love the challenge today and will be doing that. The second poem just made me so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosi,
    Yes, the prom glass is a sad one. Every year at prom time, high school students need to be reminded to be more careful in their driving. Heck, we all need reminding, we can never be too careful of the other cars on the road. I hope you had a grand time observing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy,
    I enjoyed the reminder of sprucing up for spring. I imagine a day of people watching at local garden centers could lead to many poems and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like "clap" there -- very evocative.

    ReplyDelete