Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, August 19, 2011

It's Raining!



Rain drops drum on the roof,
"Go to sleep," Dad says,
and I try .

Lightning cracks in a quicksilver flash
to light up the dark, cloudy sky.

Thunder roars, clashes,
crashes and makes a very loud boom.

Is it any wonder I'm here with my dog
under the sheets 
in my room?

  Lately, we've been having storms roll through in the late evening.  It floods the roads and comes with beautiful lightning and loud thunder.  Do you have summer storms?  Can you write your own poem about rain, or how about a list poem about all the things that go crash and boom?  Enjoy your writing.

2 comments:

  1. joy,

    You've done a great job capturing the moment. I liked you idea of a list poem with things that go crash and boom. Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda,
    Did you know that after sight, the way things look; sound is the second thing most frequently written about. I try to use lots of sounds in my poems. Do you?
    On my walk this morning I heard the funniest long low rattly bird call. I wondered what the bird must look like. It was like nothing I had heard before. Then as I walked a little more, I could tell that the sound was a jackhammer hitting cement. Someone in the neighborhood was doing some construction word.
    Have a blast writing today.

    ReplyDelete