Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

FIRE VI

Gosh, and I thought I was done with the fire poems, but then these came in the night and wouldn't let me sleep.  So here are a few more. 

Fire is the wish
on your
birthday cake.

Fire marches
up hills, on picnics
in a little red ant.

Fire ablaze
in the trees
during autumn.

Fire is a prayer
said over
lit candles.

Fire is a secret
held inside
of a match.

    I'm not sure I like the "Fire is" format because that "is" is a dead verb--it doesn't show any action.  But I do like the idea of fire being a wish or a secret.  Now, can you understand how this FIRE kept me awake playing with words?  It is your turn.  Can you write a simple three line poem (a triplet) about a noun you like?  Have fun writing and you can leave your poem in the comments below if you want to share.

  A variation of two of these verses can be seen over at my friend David Harrison's blog.  He has a feature called Word of the Month poems (for adult and youth poets).  He provides a word and challenges poets to write a poem using his word.  The word for this month is CANDLE

6 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I especially like the autumn tree image. You are so focused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Linda. Focused? Who me? Gosh when I was a kid my teachers always called me flighty--I was going in a million directions at once. I think it is part of the reason I don't write novels, because I'm constantly coming up with ideas to change the main character. I do like playing with ideas and words.

      Delete
  2. I like the last one best. Thanks for sharing all of these fire poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosi,
      The last one is my favorite too. It sent me off in a whole new direction with the fire poems. So, I'm hoping that I'll be able to use some of that direction when I move on to rocks and stones.

      Delete
  3. Joy,
    Whether you consider yourself focused or not, you stuck with this project long and hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you've explored so many different forms of fire in this series. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete