Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, February 26, 2015

RODEO PARADE

Dust off your boots
for the rodeo,
the parade is today
and I'm raring to go.

Cowboys and vaqueros
ride down the street
waving and smiling
to all they meet.

The horses high step
to make horseshoes sing.
The polished silver saddles
make a sweet ring.

Here comes a cowboy
standing on his horse's mat.
He's a trick roper
who jumps through his lariat.

Everyone is watching 
and having good fun.
I'll join the march
at the end when it's done.

Bands play, guitars strum,
floats go past.
The rodeo parade is over
much too fast.


     It is Rodeo Days in Tucson and the parade is today.  The students in our schools have today and tomorrow off so they can participate in the festivities.  The parade is called the longest non-motorized parade in the U.S.  When was the last time you went to see a parade?  Have you ever been in a parade?  Does your school have parades?  Your challenge for today is to write a poem about a parade, or something you saw in a parade.  Or you can use your imagination and add a verse to my poem.  Have fun writing.You can see photos of previous Rodeo Parades here:
http://tucson.com/gallery/news/local/photos-historic-tucson-rodeo-parade/collection_176c488c-3e7e-5fde-907d-4e581fe2cd43.html#0 

and the floatshttp://tucson.com/gallery/sports/rodeo/photos-rodeo-parade-floats/collection_dcf829a7-3a0c-5d41-bb67-226fc96bcc0d.html#6

and of the rodeo http://tucson.com/gallery/sports/rodeo/photos-la-fiesta-de-los-vaqueros/collection_9d0790d2-ba34-11e4-9a10-6f386173e470.html#0

5 comments:

  1. I hope you got to go to the parade, Joy. I love that the boots had to be dusted off for the rodeo. Seems to me, the "cowboy" comes out in everyone when there's a rodeo parade. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I didn't get to the parade, but I did get to see lots of pictures from our local newspaper. I had a window washer scheduled to come clean my windows at the same time as the parade or I would have gone. At least now I have bright gleaming windows that let in lots of sunshine.

      Delete
  2. This is so fun, Joy! I can see a picture book developing here, just about the parade (never mind the actual rodeo). Thanks for joining in Poetry Friday--and I hope you find the book you're looking for! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found the book. Now I'm searching for the poem about the clams and the seahorses at the flight school which was the first poem in one of my poetry textbooks. You don't happen to know this poem, do you?

      Delete
  3. what a great story you have published excellent piece of work ,,,,,,,,,
    HNI calls

    ReplyDelete