Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

2015 Progressive Poem




It is that time of the year again.  Time for the progressive poem.  

Where will our Progressive Poem take us this year?! 
                     Yesterday the poem started at Jone Mac's blog Check It Out with the first line.  Today I get to add the second line.  Then tomorrow the poem moves to Heidi Mordhorst's blog  My Juicy Little Universe.






Here is the poem so far:

She lives without a net, walking along the alluvium deposits of the delta,

shoes swing over her shoulder, on her bare feet stick jeweled flecks of dark mica.


What a way to start us out!  Thanks Jone for a great opening line.  With a long line there are lots of possibilities.  What is with the long lines?  Last year Charles Waters started us out with an incredibly long first line too.  This one has 22 syllables, ten feet (if I counted right!)  I wanted to try to rhyme again this year, but with a line that long I gave up on it.  Heidi, the next line is yours, do your magic.  Have fun.

Thanks to Irene Latham for another great adventure during National Poetry Month.  Here are all the places the Progressive Poem will travel.

1 Jone at Check it Out
2 Joy at Poetry for Kids Joy
3 Heidi at My Juicy Little Universe
4 Laura at Writing the World for Kids
5 Charles at Poetry Time Blog
6 Ramona at Pleasures from the Page
7 Catherine at Catherine Johnson
8 Irene at Live Your Poem
9 Mary Lee at Poetrepository
10 Michelle at Today’s Little Ditty
11 Kim at Flukeprints
12 Margaret at Reflections on the Teche
13 Doraine at DoriReads
14 Renee at No Water River
15 Robyn at Life on the Deckle Edge
16 Ruth at There is No Such Thing as a Godforsaken Town
17 Buffy at Buffy’s Blog
18 Sheila at Sheila Renfro
19 Linda at Teacher Dance
20 Penny at A Penny and her Jots
21 Tara at A Teaching Life
22 Pat at Writer on a Horse
23 Tamera at The Writer’s Whimsy
24 Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect
25 Tabatha at The Opposite of indifference
26 Brian at Walk the Walk
27 Jan at Bookseedstudio
28 Amy at The Poem Farm
29 Donna at Mainely Write
30 Matt at Radio, Rhythm & Rhyme

16 comments:

  1. Ah, mica! And those jeweled bare feet! Yes, we're definitely off the meter-n-rhyme with those long lines. Thank you, Joy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am longing for shoes swung over my shoulder days! Such an image here... What will she do? This is always such a fun ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a free spirit adventuring, love the "shoes swung over her shoulder", too, Joy. And off she goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your second line flows beautifully from the first, Joy. I'm loving this poem's carefree tone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love those jeweled flecks of mica--wonderful detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving this poem already. I would love to walk on the delta and feel the sand on my bare feet. Have been taking some time off from my poetry, but miss it. I am trying to devote time during April to enjoy and visit and connect. So looking forward to the twists and turns of the poem this year.
    Janet F./Janet Clare

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Jeweled flecks" masterful. I hope this one goes free verse. I am much more comfortable with that; however, I have never met a poem that didn't stretch me out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! I wonder where she's going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the jeweled flecks as well...this is fabulous. I agree, Margaret, Here, Here to free verse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow two great lines now. I'm going to have to swat up on my science and geography I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent images, Joy! But I am already scrambling to look up words I don't know...:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the way it's starting out. Nice imagery, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love where this going, and the characters that are developing (both human and geographical). Looking forward to working on this all evening!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "on her bare feet stick jeweled flecks of dark mica" - is that fun or what? Great job, Joy. I like how those words "stick" as we say them - all those hard c/k sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mica on my bare feet! Sticks like glitter, flat to your skin and is so hard to get off! I wonder... a short, abrupt line or another long winding one adding to these two exquisite lines...I guess we'll soon see! I have so long to wait! Love this beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with everyone else! Loving . . .
    "on her bare feet stick jeweled flecks of dark mica."

    ReplyDelete