Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Moon




Clouds drift across the moon
in a lacy mantilla
anticipating
like a wave,
hesitating
at its crest,
holding its breath
before dropping,
dropping into the night
from deep dark eyes.




   I often get up in the middle of the night to write. When this happens, one of the first things I do is look out the window to try and find the moon.  There is something anchoring for me about being able to see the moon and identify its phase. Last night as I was watching, lacy clouds shrouded the moon. When I see clouds over the moon, I always think of Alfred Noyes' poem THE HIGHWAYMAN.You might enjoy looking at the poem to see the different ways the poet describes the night.  Can you try writing your own poem about the moon today?

4 comments:

  1. Lace in its best form! Like the drawing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Happy Birthday to your husband.

      Delete
  2. I like the lacy mantilla. Very nicely done, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi, do you think the word mantilla needs an explanation for kids?

      Delete