Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Colors

White and red
are the colors
of Christmas
for me.

The white
of fresh snow
draping on the trees,
like bridal gowns,
covering the ground.

The red
of cardinals
under the bird feeder
picking at seeds
in the snow.
Their call
in the quiet--
a Christmas carol.

     What is your favorite Christmas carol?  Have you ever gone caroling?  Can you write a poem about the music you like best at holiday time? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joy! I need to add your blog to my blog post. What a lovely poem!

    I don't know if I have a favorite carol. I have some I really, really enjoy singing. I wrote a Christmas song a couple years ago. I even sang it at church! I might post it on my blog sometime. (Yes, I love caroling!)

    As for the poem... hmmm...I'll have to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by Donna. I think my favorite Christmas carol was always the GLORIA one. I love going up and down holding that round "O" sound while my mouth made that little "O" too. No wonder I ended up a poet. I do love the way words feel in my mouth.
    My mom, a school teacher, was always in charge of the Christmas pageant--that was back in the days when schools could do that--so I started out early as the baby in the manger and then the angel. The angel was probably wishful thinking on my mom's part.
    Let me know when you post your song on your blog,or you are welcome to post it here. I'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete