Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Nativity

Think of the young couple
traveling to Bethlehem
to pay their taxes.
No fax machine for on-line payment.
No Priceline, Expedia, or Travelocity
to book their room ahead.
How did they manage?

She, nine months pregnant,
her belly big, round.
The baby rode low on her hips,
kicked all day.

She astride the donkey
and her husband walked beside.
What do you think they talked about
as they walked that whole day?

Did they sing,
tell jokes,
talk of their plans
for the baby?

     As the holiday (holy day) comes closer, today is a day for reflecting, thinking and for breathing.  Make a list today of all the things you are thankful for.  It really is a wonderful time to be alive.  A wonderful time to live the Christmas spirit.  You're welcome to write a poem about that.
     I hope you enjoy this beautiful day.

3 comments:

  1. This is my favorite poem so far. Good thoughts to ponder that make the Christmas story even more real. I wonder if her feet swelled, riding all that way? I wonder if she had to have "pit stops" every 30 minutes? Did Joseph have to tie her sandals? Could she see her feet?

    You've inspired me. I feel something rising up that just might have to be written.

    Be blessed the Christmas season, Joy. Have a beautiful, beautiful rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, yes. Donna. Please write away.
    When my mom taught kindergarten, she usually was in charge of the Christmas pageant. This was back in the days before Kwanzaa, and there was only one Jewish family in town. If there were Buddhists or Muslims, I didn't know about them. So we told the Nativity story.
    Mom would ask her students about it.
    So the story goes, one little girl was telling about how Joseph walked and Mary rode the donkey and she said, "I don't know why Mary rode the donkey, perhaps she broke her leg."
    Because Mom organized the program for the parents, I got to be an angel when I was 5. I wore a white robe with net wings added and a coat hanger wrapped in tin foil for my halo. Maybe that is why I'm drawn to my tiara, I want to get back to those angelic days.
    Merry Christmas.
    And if this poem got you thinking, check out tomorrow's poem when I take on the three wise men. Can you imagine they didn't travel with an entourage, no security guards, chauffeurs or even wheeled luggage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy,
    Did Mary and Joseph have a sense of humor? Hmmmm....I imagine it was needed with all they went through in their lives. Wonderful post!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete