Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Dolly

I am the wrapped doll
hidden under the tree
Won't you please hurry
to come and find me.

My hair is blond,
my eyes are blue.
I'm in this box
waiting for you.

I'm dressed in a ball gown 
for a party
a tiara on my head.
Will you promise
to always love me,
and take me with you
when you go to bed?

Can you tell me
what you will name me--
Robyn, Donna, Jeanne,
Linda Sue or Mamie?

Please hurry and find me.
Let us dance.  Let us twirl.
I'm looking forward to meeting
my own special girl. (or boy)

     Are you starting to feel the Christmas spirit?  I certainly am.  Today's poem is written for Linda, who suggested this poem--one written in the persona of a Christmas present, from the toy's point of view.  Today's challenge is to write a poem from the point of view of the toy.  What would a sled say?  I'm thinking the yo-yo would have quite a story to tell.  How about that drum, or even the angel on top of the tree?  Can you tell their stories?  Please share your poems.  Happy holidays

1 comment:

  1. Joy,
    How special! To have my name in the poem is so cool, but having this lovely poem dedicated to me is one of the best gifts I could receive. Thanks so much. May your holiday be filled with surprises just as special.

    ReplyDelete