Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

SNOWBALLS


All morning
my brother and I
made snowballs
behind the safety
of our snow forts.
We packed firm round balls
for our arsenal.

Then,
when the pile
was big enough,
we had the snowball 
fight championship.

I threw first.
Got him in the chest
S-M-A-C-K.

He threw back.
I got a snowball
down my collar
Brrr-rrr-rrr.

We exchanged volleys.
And when the snowballs
were all thrown,
I was wet.

My brother declared himself
snowball throwing
champion of the world.
He said he was the winner
because I was wetter.
We went inside to warm up
and drink hot chocolate.

He doesn't know 
I've hidden one
perfect snowball 
in the freezer.
I'll get him back
next July.


    Do you have snow where you live?  Can you write a poem about how snow makes you feel?  Can you think of words that rhyme with snow?  Make a list and see where your poems takes you.  Have a fun magic carpet ride to poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment