Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, March 23, 2012

4 AM

The clock
on my nightstand
gleams red
4 AM.
It is dark.
 I'm still a bed.
Across the night air
comes the whistle
of a train
and in my dream
I'm riding
the Santa Fe
through the rain,
through the snow,
all the way
to the moon.
Clackety-clack, clackety-clack.
I'll be there soon.

     This is one of what I call my dream poems.  Many famous poets, have written poems about their dreams.  John Barrymore, Langston Hughes, Edgar Allen Poe--
just to name a few.  My dreams are usually short.  What are your dreams like?  Do you write your dreams down?  I keep a dream journal on my night stand.
It doesn't take long to write your dreams down first thing in the morning so you can keep them.  Otherwise all those good ideas that come to you in the night get lost.  Today's challenge is to write a poem about one of your dreams.  Do you think dreams are important to your life?  Why?  What do dream poems do for you?

4 comments:

  1. Joy,
    Is it a mail train? TEASING! It delivers even in the rain and snow :) I love the idea of writing poems about your dream.

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, The other night I dreamed of a tortoise with a red shell sitting in a shopping cart. Poem - uh - no. =0) But I love the idea of dream poems! We live quite close to the train tracks so I'll keep my dream window open. Cool poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Susan,
    I love your tortoise. does she have a name? Sometimes naming the thing lets you know what to do with her. I wrote a poem--4 line quatrain about your tortoise that I'll share with you later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda,
    Yup the mail. I just love the image of the cowcatcher on the train brushing the snow/plowing it out of the way.

    ReplyDelete