Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

haiku three

goldfinch this morning
sits on desert marigold
sunshine everywhere

     On my walk this morning the birds were singing from all directions.  The doves from over head on the power lines, the quail on the ground, the finches, sparrows and wrens were flying over--a lot of bird gossip was going on.  It even sounded like a landlord and a tenant were having a discussion over the nest in the saguaro.  A finch landed on the marigold in front of me and it struck me how they are both the same color of gold.  The plant provided camouflage for the bird.  This only took a few moments before the bird flew off, but it was a lovely sight and made me happy to see it. 
    I started to think about the settings we put ourselves into.  They can protect us and keep us safe, and they can expose us, let us shine and stand out.  Which setting are you in today?  Can you write a poem about your setting?  Have fun writing.

4 comments:

  1. Sunshine gold. Beautiful! I read this in a library today and briefly thought of writing a haiku about that setting...but my task was to get back to my WIP so I dove in! But tomorrow I'll be at a dental meeting with my husband. I suspect I might be bored...time for a haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, isn't that fun. You'll never be bored as long as you have a poem you can write.

    Wait until you see the exercise for tomorrow. I can see your poems now--Three dentists that I once knew....
    Then you can start on
    Three clean teeth
    that I once knew
    an incisor and a k-9
    they were two
    but that one grinding tooth
    that was in the back
    that molar ruled
    with it's chump, chomp, chomp!

    Oh dear, I'm getting carried away. Have fun writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy,

    Gold on gold spotlighted by gold. Better than golden coins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dental poem!!! Joy, you are absolutely too much. Can we borrow it? True to my promise of yesterday, I observed on the Atlanta subway this AM and wrote this haiku while waiting for my husband:

    French drawls, suitcase thumps
    hip hop blast, teens chat, brakes squeal
    subways sounds, swoosh around!


    Not perfect at all-- but fun to write! ANd for me (a non-poet) that counts a lot!

    ReplyDelete