Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

What did you see?

What did you see on your walk today?
Oh, what did you see, my dear?

I saw a dead snake in the road
so dead it was nothing to fear.

A Phainopepla sitting in a tree
and a cardinal singing to me.

I saw a hummingbird fine
sitting on a telephone line.

And there, too close, were two coyotes
who stood and just stared at me.

I mustn't forget the cotton tails
and the bobbing heads of desert quails.

Of course there was a cactus wren
who sat and called again and again.

This and that and so much more
were all out walking with me.

This is what I saw on my walk today, dear.
This is what I saw on my walk.

   It was a lovely day today and yes I had a great walk.  It is definitely getting close to Spring, there was a scorpion in the bathroom this morning that I had to get rid of before my shower.  Today's poem is a list poem.  It lists the things I saw on my morning walk.  Can you take a walk today and write your own list poem?  Don't worry about making it rhyme.  Add some details that tell what the thing on your list is doing. 
Please share your poem in the comments.  Have a great day.

1 comment: