Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, March 30, 2012

DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE Poems for an Election Year

HAPPY POETRY FRIDAY

       Today is an exciting day.  I have four autographed copies to give away of Janet Wong's collection of political poems titled, DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE Poems for an Election Year.  This is a creative collection of poems to get you thinking about the privileges and responsibilities we have as US citizens.

      The first poem in the collection is:

1 / LIBERTY

I pledge acceptance
of the views,
so different,
that make us America

To listen, to look,
to think, and to learn

One people
sharing the earth
responsible
for liberty
and justice
for all.

     This poem certainly makes me want to stand up and salute.  It takes and re-frames our Pledge of Allegiance, and in so doing refreshes the words so we have to pause and think about our role in making a promise to our country.

    But just so you don't get the idea that this is a boring book of history, it isn't, here is Janet Wong's humor that just has to come out through her poetry.
Any kid can relate to:

4 / BILL OF RIGHTS

When the teacher
asked about the Bill of Rights 
my friend said:

Is that
when you get charged
for Free Speech?


    The poems do what good poetry is supposed to do--they give you something to think about and there is a surprise in each one.  What fun. 

    So, if you would like to win one of the copies of DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE Poems for an Election Year, all you have to do is leave me your poem in the comments below.  It can be simply a couplet, a quatrain, a haiku or a one sentence prose poem.  Just leave a comment and I will take all of the emails, put them in a hat and draw out four names.

    I want to thank Janet Wong for this fun week for me.  When I first heard the title of the book, I did think, how unexciting for a kid.  I never in the world would have thought that I could come up with five poems written in response to the collection.  So Janet Wong, you surprised me,  Thank you for that.

   And just so I  can show  an example of a haiku, here is my poem for today:

American flag
clanks on the metal flagpole
let freedom ring


   I'm looking forward to reading your comments.  Have fun writing your poem.

23 comments:

  1. Joy and Janet,
    I've enjoyed this week's theme and poetry. Thank you both. Here's my poem:

    America--home of the red, white, and blue
    Where there's freedom to think, say, and do.
    Celebrations need not wait for the 4th of July,
    Everyday, we get a slice of American pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Linda. Thank you for contributing to our poetry challenge.
    I love the American pie ending.
    Now I'm hungry. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy and Janet,

    Here is my poem:

    America answers the call
    with Freedom for all.
    If that’s not enough,
    we gave the world Baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem Ray.
    Good luck in winning the poetry book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super way
    To celebrate our free speech
    with a brand new book!

    We've had our eye on you this week, Joy! Thanks for the inspiration! Mrs. Harvey's Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a fun haiku. Well done.
      I'll put your name in the hat.
      I hope you win.

      Delete
    2. Melissa,
      Congratulations on winning Janet Wong's book. Please let me know where you'd like me to mail your autographed copy.
      Well done.

      Delete
  6. Hey, Joy--
    Is this the wrong place to reply? Never mind. Here goes:

    Flag snaps in warm breeze...
    The air is full of birdsong
    Peace... because of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You found the right place.
      Thanks for dropping by Maureen.
      I can here those birds singing now.
      You're one special lady.

      Delete
    2. Hey Maureen,
      You are one of the winners. I've got your package all ready to go to the post office on Monday. thanks for entering.

      Delete
  7. Good poems, Joy. I'm beginning to explore writing poems. Here's my attempt at one about interdependence. Sarah Maury Swan

    America is all because of you
    Christian, Muslim, Atheist, Jew.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing Janet Wong's new book, Joy.
    (My muse is taking a nap; hence, an unpoetic comment. But appreciation nonetheless for this peek inside DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm doing this wordplay haiku from my phone and I'm not sure it will publish my name as I don't see it. Ken Slesarik

    "Better benefits"
    chanted marching veterans
    oh so flag-rantly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the way it's all in fun without a hint of disrespect as my brother is a veteran and retires in 9 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ken,
      Good to see you here.
      Best wishes to you brother.
      You are entered in the contest. I'll put your name in the hat.
      How is the poetry rocks group doing? Tell the kids HI for me.

      Delete
  11. Joy, So glad you are promoting this great book. I hope I win a copy! Here's my poem, written with tongue in cheek. Carol Hankel (Not sure how to send this so I'm picking the category "anonymous").
    On July 4th of 1776
    The Founding Fathers had a fix
    For Mother England's taxing way,
    They simply declared a Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Joy, for the invitation.
    Thank you, Janet, for your gift.
    ......................................
    Here is my cup of poetry:


    What a JOY it is for me
    To come and sit a spell with thee-
    To swirl sweet cups of poetry
    More tasty ‘cause it is all free.
    I do declare how blessed I be
    To dwell in joy and liberty.


    Cory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cory,
      Good thing I know how to get mail into Canada.
      I was going to ask your opinion on the poems I've posted from a Canadian viewpoint.
      I know we are all Americans. But I am interested in your take.
      You are entered in the contest.
      Good Luck to everyone.

      Delete
  13. I am SO looking forward to this book, and I'm thinking, now that most of my kindergarteners know the Pledge of Allegiance (but haven't noticed that I always say "one nation, under all"), that I need to teach them the Pledge of Liberty now! Here's my entry:

    Ready to vote
    means taking note
    of all who float
    in our big boat

    Fairness can't be
    learned by rote
    Ready to vote
    means taking note

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Heidi, your poetry is always so much fun. Thank you for sharing this one.
      Good Luck.

      Delete
  14. Joy... Who goes flying through the night
    Santa Claus, Santa Claus

    Liked Cory/'s

    ILY

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by. If you win, you'll have to translate the poems into Braille for your kids.
    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is Saturday morning, The contest to give away the four autographed copies of DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE is now CLOSED. I'll announce the winners later today.

    ReplyDelete