Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Phainopepla


A black bird
sits in a mesquite tree,
the phainopepla
calls to me.

He's as black
as he can be,
until in flight
he starts to flee,
then his white wings
I can see.

He calls warp, warp
from up in the tree
saying good morning
to you and me.

     The Phainopepla is a common bird to southern Arizona.  It is about 7 inches big and looks like a black cardinal to me, because they are similar in size.
What birds are common to where you live?  Can you write a poem about the birds?  Can you draw a picture to go with your poem.  Use your ears and try to include the sounds your birds make in your poem.  What ever you write today, have fun.

2 comments:

  1. Joy,
    What an education I'm getting from your bird watching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. Pausing to watch and listen is a good way to learn. Now all I hope is that I can remember Phainopepla--it is a big four syllable word and I keep forgetting the word and end up describing the bird as the black cardinal with the name that begins with p, but that p is pronounced like an f.

    ReplyDelete