Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Dismemberment

I said I have been over at www.thinkkidthink.com playing March Poetry Madness.
I lost out in the first round.  I was seeded 15th and my word to write an 8 line or less poem for children was DISMEMBERMENT.  As often happens, after the deadline, I thought of a better poem.

Sword Swallower

The sword swallower practiced in his tent.
His back was straight.  His knees were bent.
He swallowed the sword
in a tight squeeze
and suddenly felt
the urge to sneeze.
Ahhh-CHOOOO!
Dismemberment.

     Happy Friday.  The challenge for today is to make a list of ten things you've done this week. Did you go to school? Have a music lesson? Eat oysters? Read a book?  Quickly make the list and then take a moment to add the details. Pick one of the items and write a poem about it.  Let's see if I can do something for an example.

On Mondays at 4:00
I have a music lesson
with Mr. Brock.
He teaches me to play trombone.
To make it wail and even moan.
I  blow and toot
and slip and glide.
I'm glad when I am
done inside
and put the trombone away
then  race out side
baseball to play.

   This could do with a stronger ending, but it is good for a first draft.
Now it is your turn.  Have fun writing your poem.

5 comments:

  1. You had a tough word, Joy! Sorry you got out so soon, and yes--I agree that this is a stronger poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sword swallower image - bravo! Now you are ready for the next time they give you such a challenging word like dismemberment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your support. It was a fun ride. And, there are still lots of fun poems being written by my poetry friends.
    Next year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy,
    Your sword swallower poem is your way of saying, I won't give up even when given words like dismemberment. You're amazing and such a great role model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, Linda, Bridget,
    You are never going to believe this but last night when I was sleeping and my unconscious took over it hit me that the poem I wrote was titled SWORD SWALLOWER. If you take the S from SWORD and move it to the end of the word, you'll end up with WORDS SWALLOWER. Do you think my unconscious was trying to tell me something?

    ReplyDelete