Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Going to the Library


     Only two more days until Friday when I'll announce how you can win a free copy of Declaration of Interdependence, a poetry collection written by Janet Wong. Did I mentions the book is autographed by the poet?

     Here is what children's poet David L. Harrison has to say about DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE.  "Three cheers for Janet Wong for providing this collection of thought provoking and reassuring poems just as the election process heads toward a heated finish. Many of her poems bring wry smiles and all of them give the reader serious thoughts to ponder and nod over in agreement. Readers of all ages will finish this book with a deeper sense of pride in our country and gratitude for being an American."

     Yes, I'm glad to be an American.  Here is my poem for today,

GOING TO THE LIBRARY

Today
I drove to the
library
on roads
paid for
by my taxes.

I checked out a book
to read.
It didn't cost me
a cent.
My taxes
pay
to keep
libraries
free.

I'm glad
I live
in the USA
where
I can
say
what
I think
and don't
have to worry
about going
to jail.

     Your poetry challenge for today is to write a poem about why you are glad to live where you do.  Have fun writing your poem.
 

2 comments:

  1. I wrote a poem called Freedom Sings and sold it to Standard Publishing while they were still taking subs from freelancers. A very worthy challenge! I echo your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libraries are the best--especially public ones. I like working in one too.

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete