Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Freida the Frog

Said Freida, a frog
laying her eggs,
"I'm bored, and exhausted
and I've cramps in my legs,
from squatting here laying
in this cold pond each night
It's a chore, I abhor it.
It's definitely not right."

    I went to a workshop yesterday morning and one of the things we talked about was using mentor texts to help us with our writing. One of my favorite writers of picture books in verse is Dr. Seuss.So I thought I'd try this re-vamp from one of his stories.  So your challenge today is to take a poem or story written in verse and write your own version.  You don't have to do the whole story, just try the experience of this and see if it works for your and gives you any ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I enjoyed hearing of Frieda the Frog's miserable life. Would you be willing to write another stanza that tells what she does about her life or does she just complain? What if another frog responds to her complaints. I'd love to read more. Hope you're willing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'm working on this. The funny thing with this story in verse is that the ending is coming first.
    I have one quatrain:
    "Come on, Freida,
    you're wasting my time.
    You're nothing but
    a ball of slime."

    I'll share more later. But, I don't want to spoil the surprise.

    I'm definitely having fun working through the parts of this one.

    ReplyDelete