Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

JUNGLE ABECEDARIAN

   I can't believe I'm coming back for one more round, I guess I'm just having too much fun with this form.  I opened my notebook this morning to write today's poem and found the beginnings of this poem that had stalled out and decided  I could finish it.



Ahem,” said an Alligator,
Biding his time, “This
Creek flows fast and mighty fine.”
Down on the bank is bunch grass to
Eat, It's juicy, sweet,
Fine, tender, and so
Good and green. The
Holopono River has the best bunch grass
I've ever seen. And
Just as the Alligator has another
K-R-U-N-C-H,
'Long swims a river snake looking for lunch.
Monkeys make
Noise in the Bayans
Overhead, knowing each of them soon may be dead.
Please,” said the gator politely, “I'm looking
Quite diligently for a
Reptile for
Supper for me.
That tastes terrific and is
Ultimately filling, a
Very nice dinner.
Would you be willing?” “Can't grant the wish.” Snake
X-ed his eyes, “Here's the deal, it's no surprise,
You won't want me for your next meal, I'm too small.
Zebras make a much better dish.”

    Please help me out, any suggestions for improvement?  Have you tried writing your abecedarian yet?  Have fun writing your own poem today. 

3 comments:

  1. Joy,
    This reminded me of a sly fox tale or something similar to The Billy Goats Gruff story. Didn't they keep trying to get the troll to eat a bigger one? Fun story line. Enjoyed it very much. You're so good at this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a fable to me, too, Joy. I like all the dialogue in it, & your attention to the assonance in the words. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete