Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Lesson of the Pearl

This poem is for a man, Kawula Luna, I met at Wialua Falls who makes and sells jewelry.  He is also a natural storyteller.  Kawula showed us how to focus on the water falling and then to move our gaze to see the plates on the canyon walls shift.  A really  cool optical illusion.

Consider
the single grain
of sand--
can't be brushed off,
can't be blown off--
irritating.

Always,
sticking,
poking, jabbing--
a nuisance.

The oyster
can't call quits,
doesn't complain,
just worries
the problem.

Around
and around
the oyster
adds spit
and saliva,
polishes
the problem
and creates
beauty
in a single drop--
of pearl.

      Gems and Jewels have magical power.  Can you write your own poem today about a jewel that has magic for you?  Think about a fairy tale you might want to make into a poem.

5 comments:

  1. Joy,
    What a great lesson the oyster teaches. I'm so glad you're having such a wonderful time and learning about Hawaii's culture and storytelling. Happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda,
      But, I'm home now and missing Hawaii's warmth. I did have some incredible experiences while I was there.
      There is a new house hunter's TV program that has Hawaii Life for the title. My husband and I had a fun time watching the premiere on New Year's Day. Nice to dream about living there in a beach house.

      Delete
  2. Lovely oyster lesson, Joy, and thanks for sharing Kawula's words to "focus on the water falling" - a poem starter right there, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Robyn, There are poems all around us.
      I just mailed a thank you note to you for the lovely note cards you sent. They are beautiful.

      Delete
  3. If anyone needs writerly note cards, check out the pretty ones Robyn Hood Black has made at:
    www.artsyletters.com

    ReplyDelete