Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Ring-a-Rosy

This pin of four Dutch girls playing ring-around-the-rosy, belonged to my mother.
She had another pin of four Dutch boys too.  Mom gave the girls to my older sister and I got the boys.  When my house was burgled last Christmas, one of the things the robbers took was my pin with the four Dutch boys.  My sister felt so badly for me that she gave me her pin. The police eventually caught the thieves, but sadly my Dutch boys were not found.

When was the last time you played ring-around-the-rosy?  Do you remember the verse?

Ring-around-the-rosy.
Pockets full of posies.
Ashes, ashes,
All fall down.

I was thinking about this rhyme and played with the flowers to get:

Ring around a tulip.
Careful now, don't you trip.
Whirling, twirling.
Don't fall down.

And then I thought of another.

Circle round the violet.
Tip-toe very quiet.
Growing in their places
With their sunny faces.
Whirling, twirling.
Round and round.

So then I started thinking about other flowers.  Isn't the carnation January's flower?

Consider the carnation.
Growing in determination.
While I use concentration
To think about our nation.
Whirling,Twirling,
Don't fall down.

    Now it's your turn.  Think of your favorite flower and write a poem for it.
Have fun.  Have a happy Sunday.  See if you can find someone to play ring-around-the-rosy with you.


4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for the loss of the pin. It suddenly becomes more important when lost, doesn't it? I love each of your poems, so appropriate in each topic! This time you've inspired me. Here's a thought:


    Ring around a bower
    full of lovely flowers.
    Pick a few;
    a dozen will do.
    Enjoy them by the hour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      This is a lovely verse. I love the opening couplet. Bower is such a great word.

      Take flowers home
      to press in a book
      then you'll have them
      for another look.

      Delete
  2. Joy,
    Your sister is certainly very kind-hearted to give up such a delightful pin with all its history and memories. Love it. Thanks for sharing a photograph of the girls. I enjoyed the verses with different flowers. How did you get started with this one? Were you fingering the pin or did the Ring-around-the-rosy rhyme pop in your head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Linda,
      I was out on my morning walk thinking it has been a year since we we're robbed. I had to make a list of the missing items and trying to describe the missing boys wasn't easy. Just writing "Dutch boys in a circle, holding hands" didn't capture the essence of the pin. Are they playing Ring Around the Rosy? Perhaps it is Crack the Whip. Or maybe just clogging? But once I started thinking about Ring Around the Rosy, I thought how silly it was to dance around a rose bush. One would be much more likely to dance around other flowers. So once I was off thinking of flowers, it was easy to make more rhymes.

      Delete