Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

VERY SHAKA



This poem is another gift that came from meeting Welena, a three year-old Hawaiian girl.  The "shaka" is a hand gesture used in Hawaii.  It consists of the thumb and pinkie extended and the other three fingers curled close.

Originally the meaning was hang loose.  Meaning take it easy, relax, but the gesture has transcended to mean "Aloha" spirit.  The gesture traveled widely among surfers and is now firmly in our non-verbal vocabulary.


Very Shaka.
Very Shaka.
Aloha, hang loose.
Aloha, hang loose.
How are you today, Bro?
Very well, I thank you.
Just hang loose.
Just hang loose.


    I can not take credit for this poem as it is based on a traditional nursery song in French, Fere Jaqua.  So I know you can figure out the hand gestures that go with the poem.  Your challenge for today is to take any nursery rhyme and make up your own words to go with it.  Have fun playing with this challenge.  I hope you have a very relaxing day filled with Aloha spirit.

3 comments:

  1. Joy,
    What a clever challenge. Love it! Shaka, shaka to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of that, Joy. What fun! I didn't get back to you yesterday with a poem, but I did clean! My company left & it helps to clean to get my mind off missing them. I also am impressed with the poem the 3 year old wrote, & liked it! Shaka, shaka to you, as Linda above said, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May the Aloha spirit fill your heart with love. Happy New year.
    Fill each day with joy.

    ReplyDelete