Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter

My Easter pin wheel
spins in the wind
going round and round.
It whirs and whizzes
in the wind.
Oh, what a wonderful sound. 
   I hope you are having a great day.  Did you get a chocolate bunny?  I remember when I was a little girl about 10 years old the Newberry's Five and Dime store in my little town had chocolate eggs for sale and for 50 cents extra you could get the lady to pipe white frosting in your name on the egg.   I thought that was the most wonderful thing.  So I saved my allowance and bought an egg for my mom and had the lady write MOM on it.  The lady was so impressed that I'd saved my money in the first place to spend it on my mom that she didn't charge me for the piped frosting.  Do you have memories of past Easters?  What did you do or are you doing to make today memorable?  Perhaps you can write a poem to save today's memories.  Ah, you knew I was going to do that, so give it a try and let me see your creation.  Have fun with your family and friends and your writing.

3 comments:

  1. Joy,

    Is this really your pin wheel? You fooled me about the January birthday; so now I'm not sure. I would love to see a poem on a pin wheel collection. Would you consider it?

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is my pin wheel. I saw it at the dollar store and it made me so happy that I had to buy it for myself.
    Zoweee! Linda, I love your idea for pin wheel poems. I've done cut out poems before. I have a poem that the kids cut out the poem into a BIG loop so they can step into the poem and experience it in a new way. It does jumble up the lines. Then kids write their own poem to cut out and wear and exchange lines with a partner. In the end it makes a HUGE poetry party with lines going everywhere and all sorts of new poem ideas being generated.
    But I love the idea of writing poems on pin wheels. I think this would make for a really fun poetry celebration where we could all plant our pinwheels at the end of the exercise. Of course the poems would all have to be short--maybe about the wind, spring, birds. They could be couplets, quatrains, haiku. I'm going to have fun thinking if I could fit a FIB on a pinwheel. What a great way to have kids experiment with re-arranging lines.
    I could see a coloring book with 20 pin wheel poems that could be colored and cut out. And of course blank forms for writing your own pin wheel poem. Ah, you've started a whole new poetry form. Doesn't it sound like fun--pin wheel poems? I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go with Joy! I'm glad you excited about the possibilities. If anyone can make it happen, you can.

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete