Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, April 16, 2012

OCOTILLO


One hundred years of
Cacti growing
Over all
The state,
In this one
Little red flowers flame
Like sparklers
On the Fourth of July.



    Arizona was the 48th state to join the Union on February 14, 1912.  So obviously the ocotillo have been growing here for longer than that, but the 100 years is a reference to Arizona's centennial.  
    This ocotillo with it's torch red flowers grows next to a young saguaro.  Saguaro don't start to grow their "arms" until they are 50 to 75 years old.  Interesting to look at plants and realize that they have been on this planet far longer than I have.  It does make me think I need to do a better job of taking care of my planet.
    This particular ocotillo I see on my morning walk and for several mornings there has been a Costas hummingbird sitting on the same top branch watching me walk by.  Some mornings she chooses to talk to me and always I pause to enjoy the beauty and to say a few words to the bird.  It is a great way to start my day, having a conversation with  a hummingbird.
    If you could have a conversation with anyone you choose, who would it be?  Can you write a poem about that?  Have a great day on our planet.

1 comment:

  1. Joy,
    What a quality post--full of history, poetry, and art. Wow! They don't come better than this. You are a mentor I am proud to follow.

    ReplyDelete