Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

A list poem

I've been working all day on putting together materials for how to write a list poem.

For an example I wrote three stanzas on a desert scene--so my list has to be all things in the desert.

Here is what I've started with.


Under the great blue sky,
there are yellow marigolds,
a tall yucca plant,
and a saguaro cactus
standing bold.

Inside the cactus
is a nesting elf owl
who yips and yaps
like the bark
from a coyote's howl.

Down in a hole
is a resting snake
who is out of the sun
and taking a break.

    I have some more stanzas to write, but I like the direction this poem is going.  Any ideas that you'd like to add are welcome.  
    Your task for today is to write your own list poem.  It could be a list of things in your desk, under your bed, things you like (or hate) at school, or things in your backpack.  Almost anything is a subject for a list poem and list poems do not have to rhyme.  But they should be fun.  I hope you'll share your list poem with me and remember to use all of your senses for good details.  

    Happy Poetry Month

1 comment:

  1. Joy,
    Your list poem makes me feel like I'm right there with you. Oops, I'd better move away from that hole. You warned me about what might be hiding there.

    ReplyDelete