Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Who Lives Here?

See these holes
in the Saguaro?
Who lives here
do you know?
Elf Owl?
Woodpecker?
Cactus Wren?

Do not knock
upon their door.
Cactus spines
make knuckles sore.


     Yesterday morning I saw a cactus wren sitting at the edge of an opening in the Saguaro cactus.  The bird sat there singing, but just as soon as I got my camera out the wren ducked inside the hole.  I waited and waited. but the bird did not want her picture taken. 
     Can you write a poem about picture day at your school? Do you like having pictures taken, or would you rather be like the wren and have a hole to duck into?Have fun writing

4 comments:

  1. Delightful, Joy. Thank you so much for the closeups and for all your efforts to provide them for us. You're a poet, field reporter, and photographer combined. Readers get eyewitness experiences here. Lucky us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, Your word images align perfectly with the pictures - love it! I hope many youngsters write poems about picture day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Susan.
      Yes, I hope children have fun writing the poems too.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Joy on a year of poetry! Your dedication to your craft is appreciated by all of us who read it. Well done !

    ReplyDelete