Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Car Trip

My car honks beep, beep.
My car honks toot, toot.
You and I can travel 
along a magic route.

We'll drive through cities
and along the countryside
over hills and rivers
and up a mountainside. 

We'll stop for hamburgers
and to fill up with gas.
the trip that we're taking
will quickly pass.

But we'll take photos--
memories of our fun
and then we can see
our riding in the sun.

     On August 22, 1903 Theodore Roosevelt became the first American president to ride in an automobile, in Hartford, Connecticut.  Can you write a poem today about a ride?  Was it in a car, or some other vehicle? Where did you go?  What did you see?

2 comments:

  1. Joy,

    Poems can take us on magical journeys. Thanks for inviting me along.

    I love how you combined historical facts as a sidebar. I was suprised to learn that the first presidential automobile ride was also the year of the Wright Brothers'first flight. How about that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    I have a reference book FROM DAY TO DAY by David E. Johnson. When I get stuck for a poem idea, I check the book to see what happened on that day in history, or who was born on that day.
    I hadn't made the connection with the Wright brothers, so thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete