Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

RINGTONES

The crow by my house
no longer sings.
All she does is
ring, Ring, RING!

She built her nest
close to my home,
then she swallowed
my cell phone.


     I was working on a list of animals and strange things they could say, stutter, muffle or eat and this poem fell into my lap.  I originally wrote "bird" but in an attempt to be more specific (so more details would come to the reader's mind) I started thinking about one syllable birds and had dove, wren, crow to pick from.
     Can you make your own list of animals and pair them up with strange things they might eat--your dirty socks, grandma's false teeth, a flash light, a trumpet?  Now use that for the start of your own poem.  Oh, I like this exercise.  I'm having fun with it.  I hope you do too.  Post your poems in the comments below if you'd like to share them. 

2 comments:

  1. The Rooster's Excuse

    The rooster by my house
    no longer crows.
    His head bobs,nods,
    while he does doze.

    Fix him a cup of joe
    He stayed up late
    hippin' and a hoppin'
    with his blind date.

    Linda Andersen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both your poem and LInda's are fun!!

    ReplyDelete