Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Six Uncles

My Uncle Billy
likes to eat chili.

My Uncle Drake
loves chocolate cake.

My Uncle Freddy
stuffs on spaghetti.

My Uncle Newt
eats grapefruit.

My Uncle Finn
is way too thin.
All he eats
is a vitamin.

My Uncle Matt
is way too fat.
He eats everything,
some of this 
and lots of that.

And my Aunt Dot
washes up the pot.


     It is fun rhyming foods with names.  You can do this with almost any list, rhyming names with the things on your list.  Do you want to give this a try?

I'm already thinking about a list of things I do in a day.

In the morning,
My Uncle Drake
gets up late.   (Oops, that's a slip rhyme or near rhyme--I'm going to have to work a little harder to find an exact rhyme.  Ah, My Aunt Kate!)

My Aunt Flower
takes a shower.

My Uncle Hawk,
takes a walk.

     OK, you try it.  Have fun.  Please share your ideas in the comments below.

3 comments:

  1. Joy,

    My grandson Travis came up with one. It is: My Uncle Matt eats like a fat rat. Travis added: My Uncle Tim needs to go to the gym. My other grandson, Jonathon, shares this: My Uncle Bob eats corn on the cob.

    Hope this made you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo! I'm beaming. What fun. Your grandsons are great. This could actually make a good game while driving in the car. The boys did a great job. I love these lines, they're rhyming couplets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy,
    I'm so glad this made your day. We did have fun and I was pleased that the kids wanted to share their rhymes with you.

    Maybe you can produce a CD collection to use on car trips. Sounds like something families would enjoy on the way to work, school, or vacations. I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete