Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Midday Magic

First,
there was just one
hovering around the car.
It's body rusty brown
and wings as thin
as cobwebs.

Then,
there were two
and a third one
joined in.

The numbers kept
increasing until
finally there were more
than a dozen
all paused in flight.

All with their heads 
pointed my direction
to stare with huge eyes.

So fascinated,
all I could do
was stop
and watch
in awe at the green,
and red, and blue
bodies held aloft,
held in place
by fairy wings
as if their
whole purpose in life
was to amaze me
with their magic.

     Can you tell from the description what insect I'm writing about?  This is a good poem to use for playing with line breaks.  Are there better places to break the lines?  Does this poem work as well with out line breaks, as a prose poem?  Your challenge for today is to take a poem and try re-arranging the lines.  Try reading your poem from the bottom up.  Does it still make sense?  Do you like the poem better this way?  Does it give you new ideas?  Is there a better place to stop the poem? 
Do have fun playing with your poetry.

2 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I know the insect but I won't give it away. Did this really happen? What a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've been blessed with many beautiful moments like this in my life. Maybe it is because I talk to the dragonflies that they pause to visit with me. Sometimes, talking to the insects, the birds, and small creatures is easier than talking to humans who are in too big a hurry to have the time.

    ReplyDelete