Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, August 10, 2012

THE WAVE

On my way to school today
I saw policeman Dave
so I smiled and raised my arm
to give a great big wave.

Then I saw some street workers
rolling gravel flat to pave
so I smiled and raised my arm
to give a great big wave.

And I saw the ice cream man
with cold ice cream cones I crave
so I smiled and raised my arm
to give a great big wave. 

I made folks smile today
their memories I will save
just because I raised my arm
and gave a great big wave.


     When I was a child traveling with my parents in the car for vacations, I waved at the truck drivers we passed trying to get them to honk their horns.  I'd feel like a winner every time the horn blew.  Even now I still play the smile game.  This is where I smile at someone and give myself a point for every person who smiles back.  Have you ever played either of these games?
     Your poetry prompt for today is to write a poem about something that makes you smile, or someone you made smile.  Have fun writing and keep smiling.

14 comments:

  1. Joy,
    Love the idea of playing games to get someone to smile, honk a horn, etc. I used to pull down on an imaginary cord as a trucker went by. They often blow their horn in return. What are others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried this lately? Does it still work?

      Delete
  2. What a fun game -- I always respond or smile when kids wave at me... such a simple moment of connecting, and so sweet. Thanks for sharing your poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Irene, can you remember waving at the cars behind you through the back seat window? I guess with seat belts, that can't happen anymore. That was a fun game too, to see how many drivers would wave back.

      Delete
  3. I love the optimism in this poem. I am amazed every day by the number of people who pass by and never say hello or even raise their eyes to acknowledge the existence of those around them. I often play the "Buongiorno" game, just to see if anyone answers. Sadly, they often don't, or are so surprised that the best they can manage is a grunt. What is everyone afraid of? We need more kids like the one in your poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Renee,
      Thank you for the suggestion of using a foreign word to say hello. I'm going to try this. What fun!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous reminder to be the GOOD we want to see in the world! Small gestures prompt small gestures, and pretty soon, it's a cascade of positives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's get those cascades going. We can start a smile campaign.

      Delete
  5. I always smile & do wonder why one isn't returned once in a while. Will try a happy poem Joy-today's isn't so much. Thanks much for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely poem, Joy! It reminds me of waving at the engineer in the train that passed behind our farm when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violet,
      Thank you for mentioning the train. I do remember when the train engineer blew his whistle for me. It was magic.
      Of course the engineer who let me ride his freight train in the empty box car was a great experience too.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Good,let's play. I'm sending a smile your way.

      Delete