Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

OW-EEEE

Blow on it, blow on it,
some one said
as I sat and watched
my knee turn red.

I was running too fast
across the dirt,
then I tripped and fell
that's how I got hurt.

I shouldn't have been running.
I wish I hadn't fell.
My bleeding knee 
hurts like
stones in my shoes.



     Can you find the simile in the last stanza?  Today's writing challenge is a little different.  Either write your own poem about getting hurt, or try re-writing the last stanza of my poem. 

5 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I laughed when I saw that you didn't make the last stanza rhyme. I'm sure the word that came to mind was "off limits." Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch ouch I'm no stranger to pain right now (just undergone painful dental surgery) - very timely poem indeed and perfect for little tykes who are back to school. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra,
      I hope you have recovered from your dental surgery. I'm going to have to think about that topic. It might make a good one for a poem. Sometimes young children get teeth pulled when the teeth are too close together for their jaw or if the permanent teeth come in without the root dissolving on the primary tooth so it hasn't fallen out. I wonder what that poem will be like, Especially since that would make a kid not like the dentist.
      I worked at the dental school at the University of Michigan for three years and became sensitive to both patient and dentist feelings about the various procedures. Hey, here is something most people don't know about me, I helped to author the very first handbook for left handed dentists on patient-physician positioning for phrophylaxis (cleaning teeth).

      Delete
  3. Too funny! I so wanted to fill in the "H - E - double toothpicks"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridget,
    Thanks for getting the ending of this poem. I now know what I should do with the last line of the poem. It needs to be--my knee hurts more than I can tell. That will work better.

    ReplyDelete