Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

THE TALKER

(To be spoken all in a rush with only one breath, if possible.)


Mom,
my best friend David
says I talk too much--all the time
I talk,talk,talk.
I don't think that is true
but David calls me
Yackety-Yak, Talk-Talker.
That hurts my feelings.
I tell him I don't talk too much,
I just enjoy talking.
I like saying words
and feeling them in my mouth.
I don't talk too much, I just talk.
So, what to you think, Mom?
Do you think it is true,
do you think I talk too much?
Am I a gabby person?
Is David right,
do I talk, talk, talk?
Come on, Mom,
what do you think?
Do I talk too much?
Do you think I talk too much?


       This actually is a found poem.  I heard this one sided conversation from a 7 year-old boy when I was out at a museum.  As I listened, I didn't see how this kid could believe that he didn't talk too much.  What do you think?
     So here is today's challenge--write a poem in which one person tells a lie.

2 comments:

  1. What about the kid who hangs his head like he's shy when he really just doesn't want to be bothered by an inquisitive adult hovering over him? Can't call him a dumb kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. They certainly are more creative.
    I think if I wrote a poem about this, I'd have to do it from the POV of an adult and it would be really tough to reveal the lie. Actually writing lies is very hard because it is easy to lose the reader's trust.

    ReplyDelete