Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Moon Names

The August dog moon
sees lightning
in the sky.

He yips
and he yelps
a thunderous cry.


     The Indians had different names for each of the moon's phases and months for planting or harvesting.  One of the names for the full moon in August is Dog Moon.  I think it might have something to do with the Dog days of summer.  Can you write a poem about the moon today?

1 comment:

  1. Joy,
    What other animals are mentioned with the moon phases? Do you know? I know a cow jumped over the moon in the nursery rhymes. Isn't this fun?

    ReplyDelete